Brown Rice Risotto
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup brown rice
- ½ cup dried porcini mushrooms (about ½ ounce)
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 400 gms button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups (1 inch) cut green beans
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- ½ cup chopped shallots (small onions)
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil, and add 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in rice; reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes (till nearly done). Drain. Set aside.
- Place porcini in a medium bowl; add 3 cups hot water. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain through a sieve over a bowl; reserve liquid. Chop porcini.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced fresh mushrooms; sauté for 8 minutes or until moisture evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in reserved porcini, green beans, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; cook for 2 minutes or until the green beans are crisp-¬tender. Place mushroom mixture in a large bowl; keep warm.
- Return pan to medium-high heat; add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add shallots, and sauté for four minutes or until tender. Add rice; cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir in wine; cook for two minutes or until the wine evaporates, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup reserved mushroom liquid to rice mixture; cook for three minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining mushroom liquid, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion is absorbed Stir in mushroom mixture, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and parsley; sprinkle with thyme. Serve hot.